Tuesday 19 June 2007

From the mind of a Teenage Tee Mogul in the Making.



Our Interview with Peter John

JT: Why did you get into the fashion/t-shirt business?

PT:Because I didn’t want to invest in the ideas of others when I had ideas and philosophies of my own which I too want to express. And why not earn from my intellect through clothing.


JT:What’s the rationale behind the angle you took in the design and statements of the tees?

PJ: I want to express my attitudes towards the things happening around me daily, in a way that can provoke thoughts in others. I didn’t want to follow the same old sayings that are on every other shirt. I also wanted the shirts to have a vintage college look. For the Cricket Games to be held here I’ve used some old sayings as well as created my own but the graphics are all mine.


JT: How long have you been doing this?
PJ:For about eight months.

JT:Are you profitable?
PJ: Not at the exact moment, our shop (my mother’s and I) has only just been established, and most of our sales have been to family and friends, but we will soon begin an advertising campaign to attract new customers. However I did sell quite a few shirts before and with that money I have invested in launching my shirts on the wider market. Profitability is the potential not necessarily the outset.


JT:Define the typical buyer of your Tees?

PJ:y t-shirts appeal more to the conservative, alternative and intellectual groups of customers who want something that's simple, but still makes a statement that will make people say "where did you get that?" or "what does that mean?"


JT: What are the top two achievements you are proud to share since being in this business?

PJ:My two most significant achievements for me, within these past seven months, were my interviews with Fame FM, on live radio, and a front page spot in the Outlook magazine for my interview with the Sunday Gleaner’s Outlook magazine. I am only 15 (probable the youngest registered designer?) and having my own registered line of shirts has motivated me to continue the focus of excelling in life.


JT:What is the ultimate for you?

PJ:The ultimate for me s to be a renowned scientist with a great discovery but after Crysis Riot Gear® becomes a world renowned brand of shirts. The "likkle black yute" from the "likkle island called Jamaica" making it big, making my mom, my people and my country proud.

No comments: