Friday 29 June 2007

A Tourist jumps into the Reggae Tshirts trade



JAMROCK TEES INTERVIEW WITH MIKE'S REGGAE TSHIRTS
JT: Why did you get into the fashion / tshirt business?


Mike: I was disappointed in the tshirts I found when I first traveled to Jamaica. So much great music came from there, but there were no cool shirts celebrating that music, other than the Marley tshirts that can be found outside of JA. I began to design some reggae tshirts for myself to wear. With the internet, I was able to make these designs available to anyone else who might like them.

JT:What's the rationale behind the angle you took in the design and statements of the tees?

Mike:The statements are simple! The designs say I love reggae, or ska or mento or dub or rock steady or dance hall or all of the above!

JT:How long have you been doing this?


Mike:A few years.



JT:Are you profitable?


Mike:If I divide the number of hours I spent creating the designs against my revenue, the numbers would make a business man cry! But I really don’t do this for profit. I did it to have some cool reggae shirts to wear. If a few other people buy some too, that’s cool!

JT:Define the typical buyer of your Tee?

Mike:Lovers of Jamaican music.

JT:What are the top two achievement you are proud to share since being in this business?

Mike:First is making the first mento tshirts. Second, is that my first dub tshirt design came out great.

JT:What is the ultimate for you?

Mike:The ultimate for me is for everyone to love Jamaican music and enjoy it wearing a Mike’s Reggae Shirt!

No comments: